LIGN 211, Phonology
TuTh 2:00-3:20, AP&M 4301
Office hours: TuTh 1:00-1:50pm (or by appointment after class), AP&M 4151
Files linked below are in Adobe PDF format unless otherwise noted.
Jump to: Handouts | Readings | Prompts | Software | Practical stuff
The syllabus. (final: updated September 13, 2016)
You may find Kie Zuraw's tips for reading scholarly articles very helpful.
- Prince, Alan, Bruce Tesar, and Naz Merchant. 2015. OTWorkplace. (Windows only; Excel plug-in.)
- Hayes, Bruce, Bruce Tesar, and Kie Zuraw. 2016. OTSoft 2.4.
- The original. Windows-only.
- Staubs, Robert, Michael Becker, Chris Potts, Patrick Pratt, John McCarthy, and Joe Pater. 2010. OT-Help 2.0.
- Multi-platform. OT, HG, and HS.
- Chicago Language Modeling Lab. 2011. PyPhon 1.6.0.
- Multi-platform. Command-line interface.
- Boersma, Paul, and David Weenink. Praat 6.0.19.
- Anttila, Arto, and Curtis Andrus. 2009. T-Order Generator.
- Djalali, Alex J., and Cameron Jeffers. 2014. OTOrder.
- "This website is your source for serious OT work."
- Some potentially helpful documents:
- How to make OT tableaux in MS Word (Word, PDF)
- I made this document a long time ago, and it reflects my formatting preferences (and relative Word-fu) at the time. Use your own judgment.
- If you're a LaTeX user, I highly recommend Nathan Sanders' OTtablx package.
- How to make fancy brackets in MS Word by Kie Zuraw: Word, PDF
- Jason Riggle's helpful (and concise!) phonological feature chart
- The Rutgers Optimality Archive. Freely available research in OT and its conceptual affiliates.